This is not an official web site of the United States Air Force (USAF), the United States Air Forces in Europe (USAFE), the US Department Of Defense (US DOD) or the Ministry Of Defense (MOD); nor is it affiliated with any government agency. No portion of this web site should be construed as official statements of the USAF, USAFE, the US DOD, or the MOD.

 Web Site Navigation:


 Current Affairs:


 Flying Squadrons


 Support Squadrons
 and Units:

  (More to Come)


 Recreation:


 Wings Over Heyford

 (Work In Progress)


 More:


 Miscelleneous:


 Contact Info:


Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund


We will never forget

DefendAmerica
Defend AMERICA - US Department of Defense News About The War on Terrorism

The Duty Roster The Guest Book News Reunions FAQs

ROYAL AIR FORCE STATION
UPPER HEYFORD

Memorial Web Site

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
Royal Air Force Flag

Wings Over Heyford

Wing Decorations
6th Strategic Wing
20th Fighter Wing
20th Tactical Fighter Wing
22nd Air Refueling/Bomb Wing
42nd Bomb Wing
55th Strategic Reconnaisance Wing
66th Tactical Reconnaisance Wing
66th Electronic Combat Wing
97th Bomb Wing
98th Strategic Wing
3918th Strategic Wing


20th TFW & 20th FW Commanders at RAF Upper Heyford
Note: Rank shown represents that which was held at that time.
Colonel Randall M. Schmidt

Colonel Randall M. Schmidt

20th Fighter Wing Commander, 16 July 1993 - 1 Jan 1994.

Currently Major General, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.

Colonel Terryl J. Schwalier
20th Fighter Wing Commander, 20 July 1992 - 16 July 1993.
Colonel Lawrence E. Stellmon
20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander, 9 Feb 1990 - 20 July 1992.
Commanders Connection, 1989 Colonel Lee A. Downer Colonel Lee A. Downer Retired Major General, July 1, 1997.

20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander, 8 July 1988 - 9 Feb 1990.

Colonel Graham E. Shirley Retired Brigadier General, Oct. 1, 1992.
20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander, 30 June 1986 - 8 July 1988.
 Brigadier General Dale W. Thompson, Jr. Brigadier General Dale W. Thompson, Jr. Retired Lieutenant General, May 1, 1995.

20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander, 17 Feb 1984 - 30 June 1986.

Colonel Fred R. Nelson Colonel Fred R. Nelson Retired Major General, Aug. 1, 1992.

20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander, 27 May 1981 - 16 Feb 1984.

Colonel Merrill A. McPeak Colonel Merrill A. McPeak Retired General, Nov. 1, 1994.

20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander, 25 Feb 1980 - 26 May 1981.

Colonel Jerry W. Tietge Retired, Brigadier General, May 1985.
20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander, 30 Mar 1978 - 24 Feb 1980.
Colonel Gerald D. Larson Retired Major General, July 1, 1987.
20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander, 9 Jun 1977 - 29 Mar 1978.
Colonel Robert D. Anderson
20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander, 23 Jun 1975 - 8 Jun 1977.
Colonel Kenneth D. Burns Retired Major General, July 1985.
20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander, 17 Aug 1974 - 22 Jun 1975.
Colonel James H. Ahmann Retired Lieutenant General; Oct. 1, 1982. Died Aug. 8, 1993.

20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander; 12 Nov 1973 - 16 Aug 1974.

Brigadier General William C. Norris Retired Major General, July 1, 1980.
20th Tactical Fighter Wing Commander; 2 Feb 1973 - 11 Nov 1973.
Brigadier General Richard M. Baughn Retired Brigadier General, July 1, 1975.
Commander, 20th Tactical Fighter Wing from 15 Jun 1971 - 1 Feb 1973.
Colonel Grant R. Smith Retired Brigadier General, July 1, 1975. Passed away May 9, 2001.
Commander, 20th Tactical Fighter Wing; 1 Apr 1970 - 14 Jun 1971

Source: Page 41 of "History of the 20th Fighter Wing and RAF Upper Heyford" 1 January 1994, submitted by Tom Wetherby, MSgt, (retired) 20th EMS AMMO. Also worked in the Transportation Sq. as a HGV driver during the Gulf War. 1987 - Sept 1989.

Top Of Page


20th TFW & 20th FW Decorations
AIR FORCE OUTSTANDING UNIT AWARDS:
  • 1 July 1956 - 30 September 1957
  • 1 May 1963 - 31 December 1964
  • 1 January 1965 - 31 March 1966
  • 1 July 1968 - 31 March 1970
  • 1 September 1970 - 30 June 1972
  • 31 March 1973 - 30 June 1974
  • 1 July 1977 - 30 June 1979
  • 1 July 1981 - 30 June 1983
  • 1 July 1987 - 30 June 1989
  • 1 July 1990 - 30 June 1992

Top Of Page


6th Strategic Wing
Submitted by Terry Horstead

"The 6 SW was the Home unit for part of our SAC Recon operation at UH. RC135's would deploy to Upper Heyford from Eielson AFB, Alaska. We also operated RC-135's from the 55th SRW at Offutt." - Terry Horstead.

More to come.

Top Of Page


20th Fighter Wing
Submitted by Terry Horstead Submitted by Mike Kaplan Submitted by John Double, MSgt (Ret), 20 CRS/Automatic Test Stations, July 1983 - September 1990.
  • Designated 20th Fighter Wing on 28 July 1947. Organized on 15 August 1947.
  • Re-designated 20th Fighter-Bomber Wing on 20 January 1950.
  • Re-designated 20th Tactical Fighter Wing on 8 July 1958.
  • Re-designated 20th Fighter Wing on 1 October 1991.
Source: Pages 46 and 47 of "History of the 20th Fighter Wing and RAF Upper Heyford" 1 January 1994, submitted by Tom Wetherby, MSgt, (retired) 20th EMS AMMO. Also worked in the Transportation Sq. as a HGV driver during the Gulf War. 1987 - Sept 1989.

More to come... research underway.

Top Of Page


20th Tactical Fighter Wing
Patch_20TFW_F111-thm.jpg Submitted by John Double, MSgt (Ret), 20 CRS/Automatic Test Stations, July 1983 - September 1990.
Submitted by Jonathan (last name witheld by request).

Submitted by Jonathan (last name witheld by request). Submitted by Jonathan (last name witheld by request). Submitted by Jonathan (last name witheld by request). Submitted by Jonathan (last name witheld by request). Submitted by Jonathan (last name witheld by request). Submitted by Jonathan (last name witheld by request). Submitted by Jonathan (last name witheld by request).

Submitted by Jonathan (last name witheld by request).

Submitted by John Double, MSgt (Ret), 20 CRS/Automatic Test Stations, July 1983 - September 1990. Submitted by John Double, MSgt (Ret), 20 CRS/Automatic Test Stations, July 1983 - September 1990. A scanned lithograph dated 1989.

Litho1-thm.jpg Litho2-thm.jpg

Submitted by Duane Park, 20th SPS, Nov. 1976 - Nov 1978.

The History of The 20th Tactical Fighter Wing can be found at   http://www.shaw.af.mil/history/wing.asp.


22nd Air Refueling/Bomb Wing
Image courtesy of Steven R. Brown Image courtesy of Steven R. Brown.

Motto: "We Lead"

"The 22nd Bomb Wing was based at RAF Upper Heyford from December 1953 until March 1954."
Source: USAF Europe Volume 2, 1947-1963 by Robert Robinson, Squadron/Signal Publications. ISBN 0-89747-250-0.


"The wing deployed to Upper Heyford RAF Station, England from December 1953 to Mar 1954."
Source: http://www.strategic-air-command.com/wings/0022bw.htm

Top Of Page


42nd Bomb Wing
Image courtesy of Steven R. Brown Image courtesy of Steven R. Brown.
Motto: AETHERA NOBIS - (The Skies For Us)

The 42nd Bomb Wing was deployed to RAF Upper Heyford using B-36 bomber aircraft, October - November 1955.
Source: USAF Europe Volume 2, 1947-1963 by Robert Robinson, Squadron/Signal Publications. ISBN 0-89747-250-0.


"In 1954 and 1955, portions of the wing twice deployed at Upper Heyford and Burtonwood, England. The entire wing deployed at Upper Heyford for a month beginning October 18, 1955. The B-36s were flown by the 69th, 70th and 75th Bomb Squadrons."
Source: http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroot/rso/wings_groups_pages/0042abw.html

Top Of Page


55th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing

Submitted by Terry L. Horstead.

Motto: "VIDEMUS OMNIA" - (We See All)*

"[This] emblem is the for the 55th SRW, that provided RB47H's and RC-135 aircraft to Det 1, 98th SW at Upper Heyford until Jan 1 1970 when it was transfered RAF Mildenhall." Terry L Horstead.

RAF Upper Heyford Short Story by Eugene Curtin [Omaha.com] submitted courtesy of Jonathan (last name witheld by request).

Published Aug 27 2002 12:00:00:000AM

37 years later, 55th's skullduggery rings loud

By Eugene Curtin
Bellevue Leader Senior Writer

Conrad Beggs figured that almost 40 years after the fact it was safe to come clean.

So there he stood Friday night, at the Offutt Club, clanging a hefty brass bell that six retired members of the 55th Wing thought had faded into the mists of time.

Beggs, a retired Air Force colonel now living in Little Rock, Ark., had a story to tell. It began in 1965, and ended Friday night when a cheering crowd of retired 55thers hailed the bell's homecoming.

Members of the 55th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing were stationed at Upper Heyford in England in 1965 when they realized that the base bar had no bell, and therefore no way of drawing attention to officers who entered the bar without removing their hats. Since offending officers were obliged to buy drinks, the bell's absence was a serious matter.

Six members, three of whom reconvened Friday at the Offutt Club (formerly Officers' Club), bought a bell, inscribed it with the name of the wing and the names of the six donors, and donated it to the bar.

Before them lay Vietnam and many years navigating the deepest depths of the Cold War. When they returned to the United States to face the future, the bell rested at Upper Heyford, clanging its judgment on all who offended the barroom dress code.

Until 1970.

In that year the 55th contingent was transferred to Mildenhall Air Base in England, their spot at Upper Heyford to be taken by a fighter squadron. Beggs, stationed at Eielson Air Force Base in Alaska, was the wing squadron commander and wasn't about to let the 55th's bell fall into the hands of a bunch of fighter jocks.

He asked the base commander for permission to remove the bell to Mildenhall. Permission was denied, so Beggs turned to Bill Henderson, a 55ther whose exploits must be legendary judging by the retirees' reaction Friday night. With the help of a sympathetic barmaid (Henderson was apparently adept at winning the sympathies of barmaids) a window was strategically left ajar one night while Henderson and some buddies "liberated" the bell.

The base commander, Beggs recalled, was highly unamused.

In fact, he was decidedly grumpy. Grumpy enough to threaten a court-martial. Grumpy enough to complain to Beggs's commander, and, Beggs recalls, "to some SAC colonel," both of whom wanted to know whether Beggs's men had absconded with the bell.

"I told them that my men would never do such a thing," Beggs said.

Not mollified, the base commander demanded, and was granted, the right to search the wing's airplane and luggage. The bell was not found.

When the plane next landed at Eielson, the intrepid Henderson appeared at the top of the steps merrily ringing the bell.

"Oh, Lord," Beggs remembered thinking. "Don't do that."

Beggs put the bell in the trunk of his car and stashed it in the basement of his home where it sat until his retirement in 1975.

After moving to Arkansas, Beggs got around to unpacking the remaining boxes. And there was the bell.

For 25 years the bell hung from his porch, appropriately protected from the elements but the spur for many a retelling of the story of the Battle of Upper Heyford.

Until last month.

Attempting to enliven an Arkansas meeting of the Daedalians, an organization of retired military pilots, Beggs decided to tell his bell story.

In the audience was Roy "Pop" Kaden, a legendary 55ther from the wing's World War II days.

Kaden, Beggs recalled, "just about fell off his chair."

He had reason to.

A few months before, at a meeting at Offutt Air Force Base, Robb Hoover of Bellevue had told Kaden about the bell. Hoover's was one of the six names inscribed on it, and he had heard something about it being stolen by a crew stationed at Eielson but had never got the story straight.

Kaden headed for a phone.

A quick call to Hoover; a letter from Hoover offering guest-of-honor status to Beggs if he would please return the bell; Beggs' longtime interest in restoring the bell to a place of honor, and the deal was sealed.

And so it came that Friday night, Bellevue's Harry Tull rang the bell again, 37 years after he was given the honor of ringing it for the first time at Upper Heyford.

The names inscribed on the bell, in addition to Bellevue's Hoover and Tull, are Howard Rust of Oklahoma; Vic Prislusky, deceased; Arlen Howe of Papillion; and Chuck Meyer of Stanton.

The bell will be placed among 55th memorabilia housed at the Dougherty Conference Center at Offutt.

In September 2003 it will be rung during ceremonies establishing a monument to the 49 55th Wing members who died in the line of duty from World War II to the end of the Cold War.

The intent is to ring the bell once after each name is announced.

The monument will be located at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio.


66th Electronic Combat Wing
Patch_66th_ECW.jpg Patch_66th_Electronic_Combat_Wing.jpg Currently the 66th Air Base Wing, it was established as the 66th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing on 15 Nov 1952, activated on 1 Jan 1953. Inactivated on 1 Apr 1970. Redesignated 66th Electronic Combat Wing, and activated, on 1 Jun 1985. Inactivated on 31 Mar 1992. Redesignated 66th Air Base Wing on 16 Sep 1994. Activated on 1 Oct 1994.

The 66th Electronic Combat Wing was based out of Sembach AB, Germany. The 66th ECW activated June 1985 and inactivated March 1992. The Wing trained EC-130 aircrews (43rd ECS), administratively controlled EF–111s (42d ECS) based at RAF Upper Heyford, and operationally controled the 20th FW. The 66th provided tactical and electronic combat operations during Operation Desert Storm.
Source:
http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroot/rso/wings_groups_pages/0066abw.html
.

Top Of Page

66th Tactical Reconnaisance Wing (1953 - 1970)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/66th_Air_Base_Wing

After two years at Upper Heyford, in 1968 it was announced that the 66th TRW was to convert to the McDonnell Douglas RF-4C Phantom II in the following year. On 27 March 1969, the first two Phantoms flew into Upper Heyford. and the 66th became a mixed reconnaissance force. The RF-101C's were assigned to the 18th TRS and were limited to the daylight role. The RF-4C's were assigned to the 17th TRS and were capable of an all weather day and night operation.

On 7 March 1966, French President Charles De Gaulle announced that France would withdraw from NATO's integrated military structure. The United States was informed that it must remove its military forces from France by 1 April 1967.

Newly arrived RF-4Cs of the 66th Tactical Recon Wing - September 1969. McDonnell RF-4C-31-MC Phantom 66-0430 is in the foreground. This aircraft served for many years, eventually being retired to AMARC on 8 October 1992.Upper Heyford was now to serve as the new and urgently needed base for the RF-101 s of the 66th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing which had been stationed at Laon-Couvron Air Base, France. After rapid preparations had been made, the unforeseen transfer of this unit was completed by 1 September 1966.

The 66th TRW was composed of the 17th and 18th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadrons.

During 1968 it was announced that the 66th TRW was to convert to the RF-4C Phantom in the following year. On 27 March 1969, the first two Phantoms flew into Upper Heyford. and the 66th became a mixed reconnaissance force. The RF-101C's were assigned to the 18th TRS and were limited to the daylight role. The RF-4C's were assigned to the 17th TRS and were capable of an all weather day and night operation.

The advent of the RF-4 gave the 66th TRW a longer arm in terms of target access. In the event of a ‘hot’ war the longer reach of the wing’s aircraft would have made many previously inaccessible targets behind the iron curtain easily acquired from the bases in West Germany to which they would have been deployed.

The Phantoms did not stay for long, however, as in January 1970 the inactivation of the 66th TRW commenced, the RF-4Cs of the 17th TRS going to the 26th TRW at Zweibrücken in Germany, and the RF-101s of the 18th TRS to the 363rd TRW at Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina.

Since the early 1950s, the 20th Tactical Fighter Wing had been operating from the USAF station at RAF Wethersfield, but this base had a limited potential for development and was awkwardly close to the expanding civilian airport at Stansted. Now with more aircraft on the base than there had been for some time, it was necessary to transfer the 98th SRW detachment to Mildenhall, thus bringing to an end the SAC presence.

The 66th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing at Upper Heyford was inactivated and elements were moved to Wethersfield.


97th Bomb Wing
97th Bomb Wing Insignia B-47E-thm.jpg

(Right): "A B-47E Stratojet (51-5214) of the 97 Bomb Wing during the unit's deployment to RAF Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire, during May of 1956."
Source: USAF Europe Volume 2, 1947-1963 by Robert Robinson, Squadron/Signal Publications. ISBN 0-89747-250-0

"Relinquished the reconnaissance mission in May 1956 but continued bombardment and air refueling training to meet SAC’s global commitments, using B–47E and KC–97G aircraft. Deployed to RAF Upper Heyford, England, May–Jul 1956. This was the last full-strength wing deployment, but wing components went overseas thereafter as needed." Source: http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroot/rso/wings_groups_pages/0097amw.html

"My Dad, Col. Robert E. Hinnant (left), was with the 342nd Bomb Squadron, 97th Bomb Wing, for a number of years. He was in the Air Force from 1942 to 1970. Sadly, he passed away four years ago [2006].

Dad was stationed (TDY) in England in 1956 (April-June). He was the 342nd Bomb Squadron Commander, 97th Bomb Wing at that time. (B-47s)" Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing. Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing.

Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing.

"The only other photo I have of Dad in England appears below. On the back of the photo, when he writes it is "you," he's referring to my Dad."

Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing. Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing.

Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing.

Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing. Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing.

Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing.

"Dad is on the far left, kneeling. By the way, and you may already know, the Aircraft Commander was always on the far left of photos, either standing or kneeling."

Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing. Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing.

Submitted by Rob Hinnant, son of Col. Robert E. Hinnant, 97th Bomb Wing.


98th Strategic Wing
Submitted by Terry Horstead Image submitted by Terry Horstead.
Submitted by Duane Park Image submitted by Duane Park.
European mission

The wing was inactivated on June 25, 1966 at Lincoln AFB, but activated the same day at Torrejon Air Base, Spain replacing the 3970th Strategic Wing. The 3970th SW was established on 1 February 1964 at Torrejon as a provisional SAC MAJCOM Wing with a mission to support B-47 and KC-135 elements from SAC CONUS-based units deployed to Europe as part of REFLEX deployments and provide a refueling mission to USAFE tactical fighters.

In 1966, in order to retain the lineage of its provisional wing at Torrejon, Headquarters SAC received authority from Headquarters USAF to discontinue its MAJCOM wing and activate a regular AFCON wing which was inactive at the time which could carry a lineage and history of the mission at Anderson. On 5 June 1966, the 3970th SW was redesignated as the 98th Strategic Wing. For the next decade, the 98th had no tactical aircraft components assigned to it, but rather used attached KC-135 tankers and crews furnished by other SAC wings to provide air refueling support for the operational, alert exercise commitment of SAC, TAC, USAFE and NATO. These aircraft were deployed for 30 Day Temporary Duty as the Spanish Tanker Task Force. It’s operational area included the Eastern Atlantic Ocean, most of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East.

The Wing maintained a detachment at RAF Upper Heyford 1966-1970 and relocated to RAF Mildenhall April 1970 to December 1976 supporting RC-135 Reconnaissance Aircraft, and supporting KC-135 Tankers forwarded deployed from the Spanish Tanker Task Force.
Source: www.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/98th_Range_Wing.


20th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron
The 20th EBS. 20th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron. Unit history: Organized as 20th Aero Squadron on 26 Jun1917. Redesignated: 20th Squadron on 14 Mar 1921; 20th Bombardment Squadron on 25 Jan 1923; 20th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 6 Dec 1939; 20th Bombardment Squadron, Heavy, on 26 Mar 1943. Inactivated on 28 Feb 1946. Redesignated 20th Bombardment Squadron, Very Heavy, on 5 Apr 1946. Activated on 1 Jul 1947. Redesignated: 20th Bombardment Squadron, Medium, on 28 May 1948; 20th Bombardment Squadron, Heavy, on 1 Apr 1963; 20th Bomb Squadron on 1 Sep 1991. Assignments: Unkn, 26 Jun 1917–9 Sep 1918; 1st Day Bombardment Group, 10 Sep 1918; unkn, Nov 1918–18 Sep 1919; 1st Day Bombardment (later, 2d Bombardment) Group, 18 Sep 1919–28 Feb 1946. 2d Bombardment Group, 1 Jul 1947 (attached to 3d Air Division, 6 Aug–16 Nov 1948; 2d Bombardment Wing, 10 Feb 1951–15 Jun 1952); 2d Bombardment Wing, 16 Jun 1952; 7th Bombardment Wing, 25 Jun 1965; 7th Operations Group, 1 Sep 1991; 2d Operations Group, 18 Dec 1992–. Stations: Camp Kelly, TX, 26 Jun 1917; Wilbur Wright Field, OH, 31 Jun 1917; Garden City, NY, 1 Nov–17 Dec 1917; Stamford, England, 7 Jan 1918; Delouze, France, 26 Aug 1918; Amanty, France, 7 Sep 1918; Maulan, France, 23 Sep 1918; Colombey-les-Belles, France, 17 Jan 1919; Guitres, France, 19 Jan 1919; St. Denis de Pile, France, 14 Feb 1919; Libourne (Bordeaux), France, 27 Feb–20 Apr 1919; Mitchel Field, NY, 2 May 1919; Ellington Field, TX, Jun 1919; Kelly Field, TX, 24 Sep 1919; Langley Field, VA, 30 Jun 1922 (Operated from Mitchel Field, NY, 8 Dec 1941–24 Jan 1942); Ephrata, WA, 29 Oct 1942; Great Falls AAB, MT, 28 Nov 1942–13 Mar 1943; Navarin, Algeria, 25 Apr 1943; Chateau-dun-du-Rhumel, Algeria, 27 Apr 1943; Ain M’Lila, Algeria, 17 Jun 1943; Massicault, Tunisia, 31 Jul 1943; Amendola, Italy, 8 Dec 1943; Foggia, Italy, 10 Oct 1945–28 Feb 1946. Andrews Field, MD, 1 Jul 1947; Davis-Monthan Field (later, AFB), AZ, 24 Sep 1947 (deployed at Lakenheath RAF Station, England, 6 Aug–16 Nov 1948); Chatham AFB, GA, 1 May 1949; Hunter AFB, GA, 29 Sep 1950 (deployed at Wyton RAF Station, England, 4 May–7 Sep 1951; Upper Heyford RAF, England, 6 Sep–3 Dec 1952; Sidi Slimane AB, French Morocco, 5 Aug–30 Sep 1954, 3–7 Nov 1955, 8–18 Mar 1956, and 6 Jul–26 Aug 1956; RAF Lakenheath, England; 10–18 Mar 1958); Barksdale AFB, LA, 1 Apr 1963; Carswell AFB, TX, 25 Jun 1965; Barksdale AFB, LA, 17 Dec 1992–. Aircraft: DH–4; 1918–c. 1927; MB–2 (NBS–1), 1921–1927; O–400, 1921–unkn; XLB–1, 1927 (service test); XLB–5, 1927 (service test); LB–5, 1927–1929; LB–6, 1929–unkn; LB–7, 1929–unkn; B–3, 1931–unkn; B–5, 1931; B–6, 1932–1935; Y1B–9, 1932–1936; B–2, 1935–unkn; YB–10, 1936–1937; B–10, 1936–unkn; YB–12, 1936–1937; YB–17, 1937–1941 (service test); B–17, 1937–1945; B–18, 1938–1942; BC–1, 1938–unkn; B–23, c. 1939; A–17, c. 1939–1940; A–20, c. 1940–unkn; B–34, c. 1941–unkn; B–25, 1941–1942; B–29, 1947–1950; B–50, 1949–1953; B–47, 1954–1963; B–52, 1963–.

Top Of Page


3918th Strategic Wing
Submitted by John Murphy, 3918 CAMS, 1964 - 1965. Submitted by John Murphy, 3918 CAMS, 1964 - 1965. Submitted by John Murphy, 3918 CAMS, 1964 - 1965.
Submitted by Terry Horstead "The host unit for B-47 & B-36 Reflex units at Upper Heyford. The 3918th Strategic Wing Supported Wing & Squadron Size -90 to 120 Day, as well as single ship short term deployments of SAC Reflex Bomber & Reconnaissance operations during the 1950's & 1960's at RAF Upper Heyford, as well as RAF Fairford, RAF Brize Norton, RAF Greenham Common, RAF Mildenhall, & RAF Lakenheath while assigned to 7th Air Division (SAC) at RAF High Wycombe, England. The 3918th SW was located at RAF Upper Heyford, and orginally controlled the other bases, but these were later Stand alone Strategic Wings and Combat Support Groups. The 3918th was replaced by the Det 1, 98th SW as well as the 3970thSW at Torrejon AB, Spain being replaced by the 98th SW on the Jun 25th 1966." Submitted by Terry Horstead.


Top Of Page

WebMaster: Duane Park

Contact Info

This page was last updated on 17 October 2012.